Monday 5 March 2012

Getting it right.

I’d been thinking about what the hooks could look like and how they’d work all weekend and I had a good idea of what to make for a Marquette in the forge today. I wanted the scale of these wall mounts scaled down to 12 mm but the hook may have to remain 16mm but I’d have to test this out in the forge.


My idea was to use riveted tenons that would allow the hooks to rotate freely. Making the hooks would be the easy bit creating the tenon would prove more of a challenge but they were successful first time round!!!     
 
Slot chiselling the holes and drifting them it 12mm round took me no time at all.



With a little hand form Chris riveting the tenons with the gas torch went smoothly and the hooks rotated just as I thought they would.   



I'm very happy with the outcome of this sample and I have an idea of what I should be aiming for with the hooks now and I have ideas on how to develop them further and make them look better. I will spend tomorrow thinking about making them look better and fit in with the wall mount designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment